Angelas new cookbook, Simply Summer- Gourmet Meals Made Deliciously Easy with Tips for Elegant Living espouse her no-cook approach which refers to Angelas use of smaller, more energy-efficient appliances to prepare quick, delicious meals WITHOUT having to turn on the oven or stove. This approach is perfect for those increasingly sweltering summer days, which scientists agree has everything to do with human beings activity increasing the amount of greenhouse gases emitted into our environment.
Angela makes versatile good use of toaster ovens, microwaves, blenders and other small kitchen appliances that use up to 75% less energy than a large electric oven in preparing simple recipes that use easily available ingredients found in neighbourhood grocery stores. Given that the average kitchen uses more energy than most rooms in the house, cutting back on using the energy hogs is one small, but important way to reduce greenhouse gas emissions while making meals that provide families with a chance to reconnect. And without a hot stove or oven on in the summer to over-work an already full-tilt air conditioning system, youll have virtually no excuse for creating some no-cook classics that are sure to keep you cucumber cool.
Warm summer days, suggests Angela, are ideal for minimal culinary fuss and maximum flavour, minus the stress. Angelas experienced tips include knowing how to stock your pantry for simple summer cooking, recipes (with corresponding shopping lists) and cooling tips to beat the summer heat. Angelas your very own weather-buster, come rain or shine!
Cool Summer Tips Include:
· Set a moving fan behind a moving water fountain or bowl of ice.
· Keep a spray bottle filled with spring water and lavender oil handy to keep you cool. Spray a bit on the inside of your elbows, the back of your
· Sprinkle bed sheets with non-talc baby powder before climbing into bed.
· Like to work out? Do it in the morning while its still cool. Moving keeps you warmed up. Lie around for optimum cool!
· Close your blinds and drapes to keep your house cool. Use fans to circulate the air.
· Keep a pitcher of flavoured water in the fridge to sip on. The addition of fresh lemon or lime slices makes the water much more refreshing and
Sample meal ideas include:
· Summer Sandwiches with fresh twists and surprise ingredients that will make you say mmm!
· Blender-ready Summer Soups made with fresh melons, Port and honey for a tasty summer soup.
· Lip-smacking summer salads prepared with seasonal fruits and vegetables.
· Toaster oven toasted nuts that add texture and dimension to desserts and salads.
· Dinner salads using supermarket rotisserie chicken with pears and goat cheese.