1. Alma – Los Angeles, CA
2. Saison – San Francisco, CA
3. Rolf & Daughters – Nashville, TN
4. Fat Rice – Chicago, IL
5. Ava Gene’s – Portland, OR
6. The Pass & Provisions – Houston, TX
7. The Optimist - Atlanta, GA
8. Jeffrey’s & Josephine House - Austin, TX
9. The Whale Wins & Joule – Seattle, WA
10. Aska – Brooklyn, NY
“The 2013 restaurant scene is being reinvented by a band of young chefs,” said Knowlton. “The results are not only delicious…they’re inspiring.”
For exclusive recipes and videos from each of this year’s winners check out bonappetit.com.
Also included in the September issue is “The Foodist 25.” Fish heads, octopus, smartly designed matchbooks, big cheap bears, koozies and lots of Mumford and Sons are only a few of the trends Knowlton spotted over the course of his travels.