Tuesday, February 26, 2013

NakedWines.com Invests $109,000 in a Winemaker Behind Napa Valley's Premier Cult Wines

NakedWines.com, a customer-funded winery, has united over 150,000 Angels to invest $109,000 to setup Randy Hester, a winemaker who spent the past several years involved with some of Napa Valley's premier cult wineries. Randy's experience started at Cakebread Cellars as a harvest intern where he was later hired on full-time. Randy Hester says, "It was at Cakebread where I learned what it takes to work in a winery." Upon leaving Cakebread in 2008 he worked alongside some of the biggest names in the wine world making wines you have to stand in line to buy even if you can afford the $300 price tag. In 2012 he landed an amazing opportunity to work with Andy Erickson.

Randy says, "Before I moved out to Napa, I made a list of the top 50 winemakers and wineries that I wanted to work with. Andy has always been at the top of that list and it's been an absolute thrill to work with him."

Funded by cutting costs you can't taste

Since Randy's wines are crowdfunded by his customers, there are no marketing or sales costs. This allows the NakedWines.com Angels to invest heavily in grapes and talent, without wasting money on things they can't taste.

In the wine business, the cost of selling is so high that it can often double or triple the price of a bottle. Randy says, "I am thrilled to offer this wine at this price! I don't know if I can say this but I would pay $30 for this wine. As much fun as wine marketing can be, it costs so much money. Reducing our marketing expenses to almost nothing means I can charge my valued Angel investors a lot less, and everybody wins."

Crowdfunded wines available now

Randy's customer-funded Sauvignon Blanc is available exclusively to NakedWines.com customers as of February 15, 2013.

Website: http://www.nakedwines.com

No comments: